Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Brodgar Farm

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Brodgar Farm

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Lochview; Ness Of Brodgar

Canmore ID 2095

Site Number HY31SW 10

NGR HY 3034 1283

NGR Description HY 3034 1283 and HY 3035 1283

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/2095

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Stenness
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY31SW 10 3034 1283 (A) and 3035 1283 (B).

(HY 3034 1283) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Orkney, 2nd ed., (1903).

Two standing stones, the northern 9 ft high by 38 ins wide and 16 ins thick, the southern 5 1/2 ft high, 16 ins broad and 16 1/2 ins thick.

RCAHMS 1946, visited August 1928.

The two standing stones are as described by the Commission. The northern stone (A) is at HY 3034 1283: the other (B) is at HY 3035 1283.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 9 May 1966.

A description of this site is made in 'The Orkney Herald', February 21 1906.

M Howe 2006

Activities

Orkney Smr Note

About half a mile SE of Ring of Brodgar, close to W side of

public road are two upright stones are 27ft 3in apart, the one

to the N., shows a decided inclination to the NE., and rises 9ft

above the ground, is 38in wide across the broad faces, and 16in

thick. Its companion, which leans to the SW., is 5ft 6in high,

16in broad and 16.5in thick. There are no visible traces of

packing with small stones at the base of either. A short distance

S are traces of a ruined cairn or mound (OR 1377), which is reported to have

yielded a number of relics. Nothing could be learned as to the

nature of these finds. [R1]

Information from Orkney SMR [n.d.]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions