Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumfries, Newall Terrace, Loreburn Hall Including Ornamental Lions

Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Public Hall (19-20th Century), Statue(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dumfries, Newall Terrace, Loreburn Hall Including Ornamental Lions

Classification Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Public Hall (19-20th Century), Statue(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Drill Hall

Canmore ID 208127

Site Number NX97NE 494

NGR NX 97441 76241

NGR Description Centred NX 97441 76241

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/208127

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dumfries
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (19 September 2013)

The building known as the Loreburn Hall, was built as a drill hall in 1890, with additions and alterations by W. F. Crombie in 1909. The building was further altered in 1967.

The building is shown on the 2nd and 3rd edition maps, the larger footprint of the latter probably reflecting the 19109 additions, which themselves may reflect new needs after the reform of the volunteer forces in 1909.

In 1914 the hall was the base for "D" Squadron, Lanarkshire yeomanry and was HQ and base for "A" Company, 5th battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 19 September 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions