Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Kirkintilloch, 13, 15 Alexandra Street, Roman Fort Masonic Lodge

Masonic Hall (19th Century)

Site Name Kirkintilloch, 13, 15 Alexandra Street, Roman Fort Masonic Lodge

Classification Masonic Hall (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Temperance Hall

Canmore ID 205670

Site Number NS67SE 102

NGR NS 6542 7377

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/205670

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Kirkintilloch (Strathkelvin)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Activities

Publication Account (2009)

The Barony Chambers, also known as the Town-house and the Steeple (NS 6528 7399, Category B-listed, figs 21 & 29.11), were opened in 1815. Built on the site of the old tolbooth, at the junction of High Street and Cowgate, it had three separate apartments: the ground floor had a court hall and two small prison cells, the first floor contained a council room, and the upper floor a school, known as the ‘steeple school’. From an early date the steeple housed a bell and a clock, which have been repaired and replaced on a number of occasions. The steeple bell is now in the Auld Kirk Museum. By 1860 the whole building was in need of extensive repairs. The Barony Chambers were replaced by the opening of the Town Hall (Category B-listed) on Union Street (fig 29.31) in September 1906. There had been no real Town Hall in the nineteenth century. The Black Bull Inn (fig 29.14), on High Street, had been the principal hall in the town, a mantle which was transferred to the Temperance Hall in Alexandra Street (fig 29.32), built in 1872, although it was also inadequate.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Kilsyth: Archaeology and Development’ (2009).

Desk Based Assessment (March 2012)

Headland Archaeology (UK) Ltd was commissioned by DTA Chartered

Architects Ltd to assess the impact that proposed development of land

adjacent to the Forth and Clyde Canal at Southbank Road, Kirkintilloch, may

have on the heritage resource both within and in proximity to the

development area. The proposed scheme consists of the construction of

housing fronting Southbank Road with landscaping of the towpath and

embankment areas lying between this housing and the canal (Figure 1). The

proposed development area, hereafter referred to as the Site, is just under

0.6ha in extent and centred on NGR 265440 673700.

Headland Archaeology March 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions