Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Prestwick, Station Road, Prestwick Town, Railway Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Prestwick, Station Road, Prestwick Town, Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Prestwick Station

Canmore ID 205023

Site Number NS32NW 16

NGR NS 34979 26187

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/205023

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Monkton And Prestwick
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Architecture Notes

NS32NW 16 34979 26187

Opened c.1840 as a through station on the railway to Ayr. Single storey wooden building with slated roof. Platform awning supported by cast iron columns. Originally with an enclosed footbridge this has now been replaced by an open type. Chimney stacks removed.

Depicted as a single roofed building on the 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Ayrshire, 1858 sheet), annotated as 'Prestwick Station', by the date of the 2nd edition (1896), the present station was in existence though shorter in length and with up platform shelter, footbridge and goods yard with weighing machine and goods station. By the Provisional Edition the main station building had been extended to it's present length.

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) describes the station as 'One storey slated building in good repair property of the South Western Railway Company' (Name Book 1856).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), July 2008.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions