Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pinwherry Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Pinwherry Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 204854

Site Number NX18NE 52

NGR NX 19418 87243

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/204854

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Colmonell
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NX18NE 52.00 19460 87215

NX18NE 52.01 NX 19425 87251 Station House

NX18NE 52.02 NX 19517 87212 Station Cottages

NX18NE 52.03 NX 19456 87185 Signal Box

(Location cited as NX 194 873). Pinwherry Station, opened 1877 by the Girvan and Portpatrick Rly. Formerly a single-platform though station. The 2-storey rubble platform building, containing offices and a dwellinghouse survives, as does the signal box, of standard Glasgow and South Western pattern.

J R Hume 1976.

Pinwherry Station is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Ayrshire, sheet LXI, 1896).

Information from RCAHMS (TIC), January 2002.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Ayr - Girvan - Stranraer (main) line of the former Glasgow and South Western Rly was opened (by the Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Rly) on 5 October 1877. It closed on 7 February 1882, reopened on 16 February 1882, closed again on 12 April 1886, reopened again on 14 June 1886, and finally closed on 6 September 1965. The line itself remains open to regular passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions