Cumnock, Car Road, St John's Roman Catholic Church
Church (19th Century)
Site Name Cumnock, Car Road, St John's Roman Catholic Church
Classification Church (19th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Glaisnock Street
Canmore ID 204193
Site Number NS51NE 25
NGR NS 57074 19605
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/204193
- Council East Ayrshire
- Parish Old Cumnock
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
- Former County Ayrshire
NS51NE 25 57071 19609
NMRS REFERENCE
Architect: J.F. Bentley. (interior only)
William Burges
Publication Account (1995)
Prior to the erection of this building, Catholic worship had taken place in the parish of Auchinleck and later in halls and a house in Cumnock itself. As a result of the generosity of the third Marquess of Bute, a convert to Roman Catholicism, the church was not only established in 1882, but also maintained by him in its initial years. Designed originally to have been a more impressive structure, with a steeple, its interior is beautifully appointed. It also had the distinction of being the first ecclesiastical building in Britain to have electric lighting.
Information from ‘Historic Cumnock: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1995).
