Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Knockhall Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Knockhall Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Newburgh Castle

Canmore ID 20348

Site Number NJ92NE 2

NGR NJ 99356 26465

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Foveran
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Knockhall Castle, 1565. A classic L-plan, three-storey place (with staircase tower at centre of north side) of some grace. Door in southern re-entrant has two mouldings above for armorial panels and the windows on the south and east fronts are finely moulded.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press

Archaeology Notes

NJ92NE 2.00 99356 26465

(NJ 9936 2646) Knockhall Castle (NR) AD 1565 (Remains of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

The roofless shell of Knockhall Castle, and L-plan towerhouse of three stories with projecting staircase tower on the N side. Above the doorway in the re-entrant angle is a stone dated 1565, but MacGibbon and Ross (1887-92) believe that the plan and architectural detail indicate a late 17th century re-construction. The castle fell into ruins after it was accidently burnt in 1734.

To the S of the castle was an enclosed courtyard, but all that remains is a round tower at the SE angle of the enclosure which incorporates a dovecot on its upper floor.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

The ruins of Knockhall Castle are generally as described and illustrated by MacGibbon and Ross. The basic fabric is 16th century, the reconstruction being confined to windows, internal details and probably the square projecting tower at the N side.

The round tower at the SE has collapsed, surviving only to a maximum height of about 2.0m and there is no trace of a dovecot.

Visited by OS (R L) 4 September 1970.

Air photographs: AAS/94/07/G15/28-30.

NMRS, MS/712/21.

Air photographs: AAS/97/04/G8/7-8 and AAS/97/04/CT.

NMRS, MS/712/29.

Knockhall Castle is now a roofless shell; the entrance and ground-floor windows have been blocked-up and access to the interior could not be gained on the date of visit. Superficial inspection of the exterior indicates that there are architectural features (e.g. gun-loops) that have not been noted in previous accounts. There is now no trace to the S of the tower-house of the round tower that contained a dovecote on its upper floor.

Visited by RCAHMS (ATW, JRS), 27 January 1997.

Architecture Notes

NJ92NE 2.00 99356 26465

NJ92NE 2.01 99374 26457 Dovecot tower


Photographic Survey (May 1963)

Photographic survey of Knockhall Castle, Aberdeenshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1963.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions