Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Musselburgh, Mill Hill Lane, Loretto School, Swimming Pool

Swimming Pool (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Musselburgh, Mill Hill Lane, Loretto School, Swimming Pool

Classification Swimming Pool (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 13 - 66 Mill Hill

Canmore ID 203045

Site Number NT37SW 106.11

NGR NT 3465 7290

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian


Standing Building Recording (26 June 2014 - 28 June 2014)

NT 3465 7290 An historic building survey was undertaken, 26–28 June 2014, at 32–38 Millhill prior to redevelopment of the site. The buildings are currently used as a swimming pool for the Loretto School. Cartographic sources indicate that the buildings were originally a tannery, which may

have been in use from the late 18th century. The building underwent a range of alterations prior to its closure at the end of the 19th century and subsequent conversion into swimming baths in 1919.

The survey recorded five separate buildings/areas relating to different phases of construction. The majority of the external walls of the buildings had been covered in a painted render, so the survey focused on the exposed rubble stone wall facing onto Millhill. This wall had undergone a number of alterations and several blocked openings were noted. The wall is thought to be part of the building which formed the original tannery.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Loretto School

Donald Wilson – Headland Archaeology Ltd

(Source: DES)

OASIS ID: headland1-182875


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions