Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Seafield Street, Eastern General Hospital, Infirmary And Administration Block

×

Error message

There was a problem with the web service. Click here for more info

Hospital [period Unassigned], Infirmary [19th Century]-[20th Century]

Site Name Edinburgh, Seafield Street, Eastern General Hospital, Infirmary And Administration Block

Classification Hospital [period Unassigned], Infirmary [19th Century]-[20th Century]

Canmore ID 202806

Site Number NT27NE 113.02

NGR NT 28466 75449

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/202806

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Standing Building Recording (6 December 2006 - 1 January 2007)

NT 2846 7544 A programme of historic building recording was undertaken during December 2006 and January 2007 at the Eastern General Hospital prior to the partial demolition of the site for redevelopment. The Eastern General Hospital is on the coast at Seafield, and consists of a poorhouse built in 1906-7, later converted to a hospital. The hospital is first reported in 1918 and several later alterations and additions have transformed the

appearance, function and size of the original structures. However, the main elements of the original building and the layout remained virtually intact. The hospital closed in 2004.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: Montagu Evans.

OASIS-ID: aocarcha1-49353

Note (August 2007)

NT 28466 75449

In 1907, following the closure of the North and South Leith Poorhouses, a new combined poorhouse and hospital was estabished at Seafield by Leith Parish Council. This was the last poorhouse to be built in Scotland. During the First World War the poorhouse was taken over by the military, which introduced an operating theatre and nurses' home. Further improvements during the Second World War allowed the hospital to cope with emergencies such as bombing raids. In 1948 the newly establsihed National Health Service assumed responsibility for the Eastern General Hospital which became the hub of health services in the east of Edinburgh. Most of the buildings on the site of the former hospital have been demolished. Only the central administrative building survives, albeit in a derelict condition. This building was recorded by RCAHMS following a fire (EAL) August 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions