Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Aberdeen, King Street, St Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral

Cathedral (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Aberdeen, King Street, St Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral

Classification Cathedral (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cathedral Church Of St Andrew; War Memorial Triptych

Canmore ID 20084

Site Number NJ90NW 178

NGR NJ 94473 06471

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20084

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 178 94473 06471

Built 1816, architect Archibald Simpson; chancel added by G E Street in 1880, porch by Sir Robert Lorimer in 1911. Interior by Sir Ninian Comper, 1936-43

W A Brogden 1988.

Cathedral, in ecclesiastical useage. Built 1816-17 by architect Archibald Simpson, the chancel being added by G E Street in 1880 and the porch by R S Lorimer in 1991; the chancel extension was begun in 1928. Complete redecoration and refurbishment of the interior, ciborium and chapel was carried out by J N Comper in 1936-43.

Built in Neo-Perpendicular style of Craigleith sandstone, ashlar with no tower. The nave is vaulted with asiles, the chancel has a clerestory and there is little embellishment apart from outside crockets with gothic details at the front corners.

Marble statue of Bishop John Skinner by John Flaxman.

(Additional bibliography and newspaper references cited).

NMRS, MS/712/83.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Archibald Simpson - West front and nave 1816

Chancel 1880

Sir Ninian Comper - Internal reconstruction

G. E Street - Chancel (altered by Comper)

NMRS Special Collections:

LOR/PRINT ROOM/6.

Designs for Proposed Church Furniture for St. Andrew's Church.

Insc: 'St. Andrew's, Aberdeen. Suggested Church furniture in oak'.

Designs for Credence table, prayer desk, communion kneelers and lectern: perspectives and sections.

Presentation drawing. 15" x 12 1/2".

Pencil and watercolour on tracing, mounted on card.

Signed: Robert Lorimer.

Date: December 1920.

EEC Jan 1820

Fine statue of Bishop Skene by Prof of Sculpture at RA London, finished & about to be sent off

Activities

Project (1 April 2015 - 31 March 2016)

Survey work undertaken to upgrade records of listed buildings by area.

Project (1 January 2015 - 31 December 2015)

Survey work carried out on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions