Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gourock, Albert Road, Open Air Swimming And Bathing Ponds

Swimming Pool (20th Century)

Site Name Gourock, Albert Road, Open Air Swimming And Bathing Ponds

Classification Swimming Pool (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kempock Street

Canmore ID 198580

Site Number NS27NW 36

NGR NS 23918 77808

NGR Description Centred NS 23918 77808

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/198580

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Inverkip
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Architecture Notes

NS27NW 36 centred 23918 77808

A 1930s designed open-air swimming pool is situated on the seaward side of Kempock Street and adjacent to the War Memorial. The site occupies about 0.31 hectares between Kempock Road and the high water mark. TheArt-Deco style entrance, changing rooms and terracing are located on the SE side of the open-air pool.

Orignally opened in 1909 as a tidal pool with terracing only, it was refurbished in 1935 in the Art-Deco style seen today. The 1930s alterations included an increase to the bather/spectator capacity, entrance pavilions and a main pavilion with decorated wrought iron supports for the balcony. In 1969 water heating was introduced and a boiler room installed at the NE end of the main seating capacity. This has been subseqently improved to include water filtration units. Other changes were made to the bathing area when the large single pool seen in vertical air photograph (106G/UK/ 1019, frame 5054, flown 26 November 1945), was divided into one main, but smaller pool and a paddling pool to the immediate SW. It is intended to further upgrade tthe pool in the next few years.

The bathing pond is first depicted on the Revision edition of the OS 25-inch map (Renfrewshire, 1913-14, sheet) as a single pool with terracing on the SE side. By the date of the Provisional Edition of 1938-39, the 1930s alterations are shown, with the two small towers of the entrances, revamped terracing and bathing area.

A photographic survey was undertaken by RCAHMS in 2008 to record the bathing pool before further changes.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, AL, SC), 17 April 2008.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions