Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Haddo House, House Of Kelly

House (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Haddo House, House Of Kelly

Classification House (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Haddo House Estate; Haddo House Policies

Canmore ID 19819

Site Number NJ83SE 21

NGR NJ 8673 3465

NGR Description NJ c. 8673 3465

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19819

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Methlick
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ83SE 21 8673 3465

For present Haddo House (NJ 8685 3474) and related buildings, see NJ83SE 42.00.

When the large hall to the W of Haddo House (NJ 86 34) was erected in 1890, the workmen came across the foundations of an old building - about 10 feet thick, which might have been the ancient House of Kelly. In 1261 Kelly belonged to Alexander Comyn, Earl of Buchan. From 1433 to 1513 Robert, Lord Erskine, and his descendants held the barony. In 1639, when the proprietor was Sir John Gordon, Montrose threatened with siege the House of Haddo called Kelly.

Rev Mr Bremner 1892.

No further information regarding the site of the 'House of Kelly' is known at Haddo House. The hall referred to is at

NJ 8673 3465.

Visited by OS (RL) 24 April 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions