Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Glasgow, Thornliebank, Rouken Glen Park, Thornliebank House

House (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Thornliebank, Rouken Glen Park, Thornliebank House

Classification House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Birkenshaw House; Birkinshaw House; Rouken Glen Mansion House

Canmore ID 197155

Site Number NS55NW 97

NGR NS 54901 58261

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Eastwood (Eastwood)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Eastwood
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS55NW 97 54901 58261

The house is depicted on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1956, and has since been demolished.

Information from RCAHMS (TIC), September 2001.

Architecture Notes


See NMRS catalogue Strathclyde, Eastwood for typed reference.

Owner: Parks Department, Glasgow Corporation.

Demolished July 1965

See NMRS catalogue book Strathclyde Renfrew A-G for typed description of Birkenshaw House.


Scottish National Portrait Gallery - Glasgow & Lanarkshire Illustrated - article & photograph

1910, p.15.


Excavation (4 September 2015 - 12 September 2015)

NS 54901 58261 (Canmore ID: 197155) Archaeology Scotland conducted an excavation in partnership with East Renfrewshire Council, 4–12 September 2015. The investigation aimed to assess the location and integrity of any archaeological features or deposits relating to

Thornliebank House (1839–1965). The excavation followed on from a smaller investigation carried out in 2013. Both excavations were part of a wider programme of public engagement with Rouken Glen Park’s heritage, undertaken as part of East Renfrewshire Council’s HLF funded Parks for

People initiative. In keeping with this, the excavation team consisted of public and student volunteers, supervised by the archaeologists from Archaeology Scotland.

A total of five trenches were excavated on the site of Thornliebank House, their locations based upon plans from 1858 and 1895/6. In four of the trenches structural features relating to the house were located at a depth no greater than 0.8m. These features consisted of internal and external wall foundations, a chimney base and surfaces. The structural features were capped by deposits relating to the house’s demolition and subsequent site-levelling events.

Archive and report: NRHE (intended)

Funder: East Renfrewshire Council and Heritage Lottery Fund Parks for People, and HES

Phil Richardson – Archaeology Scotland

(Source: DES, Volume 17)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions