Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tyrebagger Hill

Boundary Marker(S) (Period Unassigned), Sheep Shelter (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tyrebagger Hill

Classification Boundary Marker(S) (Period Unassigned), Sheep Shelter (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bishop's Lands; The Great Stone; The Tappie

Canmore ID 19561

Site Number NJ81SW 24

NGR NJ 8431 1212

NGR Description Centred NJ 8431 1212

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19561

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Newhills
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ81SW 24.00 centred 8431 1212

NJ81SW 24.01 NJ 8438 1187 'Bishops's Cross' sheep shelter

See also NJ81SW 91.

(NJ 8431 1212) Boulder (NAT)

OS 6" map (1928)

The Bishop's Lands (belonging to the Bishop of Aberdeen) in Newhills parish included the Crown land of Bishopston and the southernly height of Tyrebagger Hill. These lands were specifically excluded from a later grant, dated 1316 in which the boundary marks of the Bishop's Lands included "the Bishop's Cross" (situated just above the Via Regia) a large rock (the 'Great Stone') 120ft north of the cross, a recumbent stone at another point and certain boundary walls.

The Bishop's Cross is a flat cross formed by banks of stone and turf 48ft and 64ft long respectively, about 2ft high and 3ft 6ins broad intersecting at their midpoints.

The 'Great Stone' has suffered considerably from surface quarrying. The recumbent stone, marking the NW boundary is intact. The boundary walls have been mostly renewed except at the "extreme upper end" where their condition suggests that they are original.

Part of the boundary of the Lands is followed by the line of division between the parishes of Newhills and Dyce.

J Cruickshank 1926

The recumbent stone bears three cup marks and a more recent 'M'.

J Cruickshank 1934

The recumbent stone is as described above. It measures 5.5m in length by 2.5m in width. Neither the Bishop's Cross nor the Great Stone was found: the area in which they lie is heavily wooded. The dykes forming the NE boundary of the Bishop's Lands are well-preserved on the north side but elsewhere are in a ruinous condition.

Visited by OS (EGC) 1 November 1961.

AAS 17; Location cited as NJ 844 120.

NMRS, MS/712/79.

(Reclassified as Boundary Markers; 'Cup Markings': Natural Feature). The features alleged to be medieval boundary markers have probably been misidentified. The Cross was probably on the E side of the hill, commemorated by the place-name Corsehill, and the nearby 'Great Stone' cannot be identified.

Nevertheless, the 'recumbent' stone identified by Cruikshank (NJ 8431 1212) is an erratic granite boulder, and measures about 5.8m from NNE to SSW by 3.2m transversely and up to 1.6m in height. It is situated immediately E of the corner of an improved field 120m S of Gueval Croft (NJ81SW 174). On the steeply sloping ESE face, which is heavily moss-grown, there is an incised letter M some 260mm in height, and several natural cupmarks.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 25 September 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions