Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balbithan House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balbithan House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) New Place Of Balbithan; Old Balbthan; Balbythan House

Canmore ID 19508

Site Number NJ81NW 7

NGR NJ 81214 18877

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19508

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Keithhall And Kinkell
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Balbithan House, 17th century. Extensive three-storey, harled, L-plan house with corbelled stair-tower in angle and turrets at corners. Owned by the Chalmers family until 1690, the south wing and the stair-tower are a good deal older than the rest. Important garden re-created by Mrs Mary McMurtrie.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ81NW 7.00 81214 18877

NJ81NW 7.01 8109 1882 Home Farm

Balbithan House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1928)

(NJ 8121 1888) Balbithan (NR)

OS 6" map (1870)

Balbythan House is a mansion of the latter half of the 17th century. It is an example of the greatest development of the L-plan but has been greatly modernised.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

The mansion house, which is inhabited, is in good condition and is as described by above.

Visited by OS (RD) 19 March 1964.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Mrs Mc Murtrie

Visited: CMcW 1954

DateL 17c

Activities

Photographic Survey (April 1954)

Photographic survey of Balbithan House, Aberdeenshire, by the Ministry of Works in April 1954.

Photographic Survey (September 1960)

Photographic survey of Balbithan Hous, Aberdeenshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in September 1960.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions