Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ballindalloch Castle, General James Grant Mausoleum

Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Ballindalloch Castle, General James Grant Mausoleum

Classification Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ballindalloch Castle Estate; Ballindalloch Castle Policies

Canmore ID 193711

Site Number NJ13NE 4.07

NGR NJ 18046 37222

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/193711

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

A mausoleum built for General James Grant was built in 1807 about 1km north of Ballindalloch Castle, in a location reputed to be General Grant's favourite viewpoint.

The monument is a square structure, built of smooth blocks of grey granite with sandstone details. In the centre of each wall is an archway, which on the west contains an entrance, while the shape of a doorway is represented in stone on the other three sides. Inside the mausoleum there is a vault, containing a marble sarcophagus.

General James Grant lived between 1720 and 1806, and enjoyed a successful military career. In 1763 he was made Governor of Florida and later fought in the American Wars of Independence. Closer to home, he was also Governor of Stirling Castle, and was responsible for adding two wings to Ballindalloch Castle.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions