Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Logie House

Hotel (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Logie House

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Logie House Hotel; Logie; Logie-ephinstone; Logie House Policies

Canmore ID 18834

Site Number NJ72NW 5

NGR NJ 70508 25859

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18834

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Chapel Of Garioch
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Logie House, 1680 (ruined). A neat little house in 1732, a fire in 1974 has left but little of this most complex building. It

began as a five-window, three-storey block with circular angle towers. Around 1740 a two-storey block was created, on the east side of the courtyard (whose gate arch survived). A two-storey wing was also added to the north side of the court and, c.1760, the original block was extended south. A drawing-room wing with excellent plasterwork was added at the southwest between 1770 and 1780 and, c.1785, a matching dining-room wing was created.

Unusually, diagonally set game larders were built flanking the gate, c.1800, the whole originally harled with margins; chimneys coped. Now a melancholy sight. (Wing at back habitable.)

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ72NW 5.00 70508 25859

NJ72NW 5.01 NJ 70093 26148 Home Farm

NJ72NW 5.02 NJ 70229 25929 Walled garden

NJ72NW 5.03 NJ 70180 26157 Dovecot

NJ72NW 5.04 NJ 7048 2636 and NJ 7051 2635 Old Logie Cottages

NJ72NW 5.05 NJ 70615 25795 Pinewood Cottage

NJ72NW 5.06 NJ 70585 25833 The Coachhouse

NJ72NW 5.07 NJ 70690 25675 Icehouse

For lodge (NJ 6998 2566), see NJ62NE 104.

For Pictish symbol stones to S of path to walled garden, see NJ72NW 7.00.

For cropmark discoveries within Logie House policies, see NJ72NW 72 and NJ72NW 78.

(NJ 7058 2583) Logie (NR).

OS 6" map, (1959)

Known variously as Logie, Logie House and Logie-Ephinstone, the building has been so altered internally and externally as to leave few of the original features evident, although it shows a 17th century frontage on the east and south. The nucleus has been a tall house, dating probably from the early 17th century, of three storeys and a garret, oblong on plan, with a still taller stair tower rising at the NE angle. Later subsidiary buildings project eastwards to form three sides of a courtyard, and a single storey extension masks the basement of the main block to the E.

N Tranter 1962-70.

Logie House, now a hotel, is as described by Tranter.

Visited by OS (RL) 19 February 1969.

Remains of Logie House, originally built for James Elphinstone in the 17th century. Three-storey with circular angle tower; so altered internally that few of the original 17th century features are evident apart from the E and S frontage. Later subsidiary buildings projected eastwards to form three sides of a courtyard and a single-storey extension masked the basement of the main block to the E. The plasterwork was among the best of its date in Aberdeenshire, with a fine Rococco ceiling. Converted to a hotel and destroyed by fire in the 1970's.

Overgrown walled garden (NJ72NW 5.03) to NW.

NMRS, MS/712/69.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions