Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 4 King Street, Glasite Chapel

Chapel (18th Century)

Site Name Dundee, 4 King Street, Glasite Chapel

Classification Chapel (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glasite Meeting House; Kail Kirk

Canmore ID 186539

Site Number NO43SW 429

NGR NO 40478 30686

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/186539

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (2011)

Late C18 octagonal church building.

The Glasite movement was founded by the Minister of Tealing Parish Church, John Glas, in 1725 in a break from the established church. Having lost his own parish, Glas moved into the nearby city of Dundee where the first church of the Glasite movement was founded.

Glas introduced the idea of a simple meal at the church for worshippers, hence the church gaining the nickname of the Kail Kirk.

The decrease in numbers of followers of the Glasite movement meant that church passed to St Andrew's Church and is now used as part of their church hall complex.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2011.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Dundee, King Street, Glasite Church.

Date. c.1777.

Activities

Publication Account (1987)

St Andrews Church is a fme example of the wide rectangular preaching churches built in Scotland in the second half of the 18th century. It was built in 1774 by the Incorporated Trades of the burgh to a design by Samuel Bell. The Palladian elements of the facade reflect the organisation of the interior. The two large tripartite windows flank the pulpit in the middle of the south wall. The two-storey treatment of the end bays shows the position of the south ends of the U-shaped gallery and the twin doors lead into the aisle round the communion table. The church has an elegant steeple sunnounted by a lively gilded dragon as a weather-vane. There is a formal garden to the south with contemporary gates and railings to the street.

The Glasite Chapel of 1777 is situated on the eastern boundary of the garden. This is a small octagonal building with the usual pyramidal roof and two storeys of round leaded windows. The interior was gutted some years ago when the building was used for commercial purposes. The refectory where the members ate between Sunday services stood to the north-east This building has been demolished and the octagonal chapel has been incorporated into the St Andrews Church halls which link the two structures. Although the Glasite or Sandemanian sect is almost extinct, being reduced to two chapels in Britain, John Glas remains an important figure in other nonconformist sects. Many of these sects consider his writings as fundamental to their beliefs, and, although he did not live to see the octagonal chapel described here, these writings were produced in the city.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Fife and Tayside’, (1987).

Photographic Survey (13 January 2011)

Photographed by the Listed Buildings Survey

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions