Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Polkemmet, Polkemmet Country Park, Polkemmet House

Hospital (First World War), House (19th Century)

Site Name Polkemmet, Polkemmet Country Park, Polkemmet House

Classification Hospital (First World War), House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Polkemmet Auxiliary Hospital

Canmore ID 186290

Site Number NS96SW 45

NGR NS 9247 6494

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Whitburn
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online


Polkemmet Country Park

Whitburn's economy is closely tied to that of Polkemmet, ancient seat of the Baillies, early agricultural improvers and philanthropists who founded Baillie Institutes in Whitburn, Blackburn, Fauldhouse, Longridge and Harthill (forerunners of community centres). Polkemmet (demolished) was a substantial house, the principal mansion block (originally 17th-century) later castellated in the David Hamilton manner. Extended baronially in Victorian times and, in 1912, by Dick Peddie & Forbes Smith. The heavily wooded 170-acre estate opened as a country park in 1971, facilities focused upon golfers. Stable block a Visitors' Centre.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Architecture Notes

NS96SW 45.00 9247 6494

NS96SW 45.01 92393 64960 Walled garden

NS96SW 45.02 92320 64959 Stable Block (Laird's House; Polkemmet House, Visitor Centre)

NS96NW 43 92639 65067 Mausoleum


Largly built 1822

Altered 1878 and later.

Now demolished


Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.


Polkemment house became a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital in 1915 and closed in 1918.

Information from Scotland's War Project to RCAHMS 21 July 2015.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions