Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loch Doon Gunnery School, Bogton Loch Airfield

Military Airfield (First World War)

Site Name Loch Doon Gunnery School, Bogton Loch Airfield

Classification Military Airfield (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Dalmellington; Bogton Aerodrome

Canmore ID 185825

Site Number NS40NE 78

NGR NS 4700 0600

NGR Description Centred NS 4700 0600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/185825

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Dalmellington
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (12 June 2013)

The northernmost element of the school complex was the airfield at Bogton, by Dalmellington village, 5 miles to the north of the loch (see NS40NE 78.00. This site was chosen after attempts were abandoned to drain the first site chosen as an airfield, beside the loch. Little survives at Bogton: groups of structures seem to have been erected on large concrete plinths, one of which measures 110m by 20m, and 1.2m high, another 70m by 20m and 0.3m high.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 June 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NS40NE 78.00 centred 4700 0600

NS40NE 78.01 from NS c.4741 0593 to NS 4737 0500 Railway

For other parts of the Gunnery School see NS40SE 44, NX49NE 17.00, NX49NE 23, NX49NE 24, NX49NE 25, NX49NE 26, NX49NE 27 NX49SE 36

A First World War airfield is situated on the W side of Dalmellington in an area between the B741 public road and Bogton Loch. Nothing could be found on the site on the date of visit. (further details regarding this airfield can be found in the publication, Connon P. An Aeronautical History of the Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway Region, Part 2, (1915 to 1930), 1985

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 1, 164-5

This First World War airfield which formed part of the Loch Doon Gunnery School, was built at this location after the failure to drain an area on the W side of the loch (NX 489 986) prevented its construction there. Seaplane hangars had also been built at NX 4820 9935 (the site is now submerged under the reservoir). This alternative site was chosen after aerial reconnaissance by Colonel Strange during 1916. Nothing can now be seen of this airfield on the post-war vertical air photorgaphs taken by the RAF. Also built at the airfield were workshops, stores and 18 brick-built barrack blocks capable of housing around 500 men and two centrally heated hangars.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), August 2001

Activities

Note (12 June 2013)

Aerial photography by RCAHMS and 25cm Orthorectified APs has revealed the concrete foundations of the hangers and other buildings can be see in the field between the Muck Water and the A713 road (Ayr Road) and the B741. The buildings foundations lie around the W, N and E sides of the field. A bridge, now demolished, provided access to the airstrip.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 June 2013.

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions