Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverkip, Hms Dalriada, Gun Operations Room

Operations Block (20th Century)

Site Name Inverkip, Hms Dalriada, Gun Operations Room

Classification Operations Block (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Clyde Aa Defences; Square Wood

Canmore ID 185535

Site Number NS27SW 51

NGR NS 2155 7200

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/185535

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Inverkip
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27SW 51 2155 7200

The post-war Gun Operations Room (GOR) is situated to the E of Inverkip in Square Wood between the railway and the Langhouse Hotel. A large concrete building, possibly two storey with one level below ground and the remains of radio mast bases were recorded on the date of visit. One smaller building, possibly the engine room, was noted to the NW adjacent to the road. The current OS 1:10000 map (1978) depicts several masts within a large enclosure which surrounds the building.

The Gun Operations Room was built around 1950-1 and was later used by the Royal Navy (RNR) during 1964-5 and named HMS Dalriada. The World War II GOR was probably situated in Langhouse.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 2, 90-1; Vol.2 (appendix), 7

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions