Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Garlogie Mills, Museum Of Power

Museum (20th Century), Public Hall (20th Century), Woollen Mill(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Garlogie Mills, Museum Of Power

Classification Museum (20th Century), Public Hall (20th Century), Woollen Mill(S) (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Garlogie Public Hall; Garlogie Village Hall

Canmore ID 18511

Site Number NJ70NE 12

NGR NJ 78225 05494

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18511

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Skene
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Garlogie. Dundee-scale woollen factory, began with water-power, then, from c.1830, it was driven by a gigantic beam-engine with elegant Doric column at centre and a 16ft flywheel. This is still 'in situ', in brick-built engine-house to rear of rubble-built factory (of which 16 bays demolished) for Haddens of Aberdeen. It ceased operation in 1904 and became site for water turbine, 1923, Escher Wyss, which provided electricity to estate and grid until 1960s. It was served by lade from Loch of Skene (surge-tank and out-take works still extant).

Surviving south wing converted to village hall, 1931, David Morris, extended 1989. Museum of Power conversion of engine-house and turbine-hall, 1994-5, Douglas T Forrest Architects for Gordon District Council and North-East Scotland Museums Service.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ70NE 12.00 78219 05492

NJ70NE 12.01 78224 05493 Turbine and Beam Engine House

NJ70NE 12.02 7838 0694 to 7829 0661 to 7836 0609 Garlogie Dam ('Garlogie hydroscheme')

NJ70NE 12.03 78210 05452 Mill Cottages (Counting House)

Garlogie Mills were demolished in 1934, but the beam engine house still survives.

J R Hume 1977.

Garlogie. Dundee-scale woollen factory, began with water-power, then, from c. 1830, it was driven by a gigantic beam-engine with elegant Doric column at centre and 16ft (4.88m) flywheel. This is still in situ, in brick-built engine-house to rear of rubble-built factory (of which 16 bays have been demolished) for Haddens of Aberdeen. It ceased operations in 1904 and became site for water turbine, 1923, Escher Wyss, which provided electricity to estate and grid until 1960's. It was served by lade from Loch of Skene (NJ 78 07); surge-tank and out-take works still extant.

Surviving S wing converted to village hall 1931, David Morris, extended 1989. Museum of Power conversion of engine-house and turbine-hall, 1994-5, Douglas T Forrest, Architects for Gordon District Council and North-East Scotland Museums Service.

Full-scale, early 19th century rural industrial settlement around.

I A G Shepherd 1994.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions