Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, North Lindsay Street, Ward Mills

Mill(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, North Lindsay Street, Ward Mills

Classification Mill(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Barrack Street; South Ward Road; Willison Street; Don Bros; Buist & Co

Canmore ID 184713

Site Number NO43SW 294

NGR NO 4001 3025

NGR Description Centred NO 4001 3025

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes


Barrack Street, Ward Mills.

These Category B and C Listed mills were demolished in May 1964. Information from NMRS Demolitions catalogue.


Photographic Survey (May 1964)

Photographic survey of Ward Mills, Dundee in May 1964 by the Ministry of Works/Scottish National Buildings Record prior to demolition.

Publication Account (2013)


Don Brothers, Buist & Co offices, built in 1873, incorporated a works canteen and high level of renaissance architectural treatment, with curved

corner. Excavation has revealed the engine foundation and condenser of the 1820s Barrack Street Mill that preceded this building (NO33SW 163). Raw jute warehouses line the north side of South Ward Road (NO 39998 30297). The two spinning mills were demolished in 1964. Foundations of a large beam engine house (1885, one of the last built) show the bolts threaded through big ashlar blocks in its outer walls to Willison Street. The weaving factories were in Forfar (see M Watson, 2013, AN16-17), where

Don & Low PLC are still important in producing technical and non-woven textiles.

M Watson, 2013


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions