Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 328 Perth Road, Mccheyne Memorial Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Dundee, 328 Perth Road, Mccheyne Memorial Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Canmore ID 184081

Site Number NO32NE 63

NGR NO 38737 29776

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/184081

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Dundee, 328 Perth Road, McCheyne Memorial Church.

Architect: F.T.Pilkington & Bell. 1869-70

later additions (Ireland & MacLaren).

Steepled Gothic revival church with plenty of Pilkington's attention to carved detail. Now closed and for sale.

Photographed by the Listed Buildings Area Survey.

June 2010.

Site Management (18 June 2001)

Muscular gothic church with steeple, basement halls and vestry to S. Ashlar, with lighter stone bands and details. NE corner tower and spire: doorway to Shepherd's Loan within pointed cusped arch on nook-shafts with stiff-leaded capitals. Carved tympanum. Memorial to Rev R M McCheyne in granite in gabletted niche to N.

Before closure in 1999, was also known as St Peters McCheyne Church, having combined with St Peters Church, in which celebrated evangelist Rev Robert Murray McCheyne preached from 1836-43. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Activities

Photographic Survey (24 June 2010)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions