Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 16 Victoria Road, Victoria Brewery

Public House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, 16 Victoria Road, Victoria Brewery

Classification Public House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ladywell Tavern

Canmore ID 184070

Site Number NO43SW 243

NGR NO 40252 30712

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/184070

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Activities

Note (1876)

Established in 1876 by Mrs Margaret Wills of Dudhope Brewery (to its rear, in the line of the ring road), it was designed to form part of an Improvement Act Street.

Brewing ceased before 1914 and the 5-storey tower brewery became a tenement. The wort coppers were on the second and third floors; the cooler was above two arched windows to their left, what is now the Ladywell Tavern.

Information from Mark Watson, Historic Scotland, 26 April 2013.

Publication Account (2013)

VICTORIA BREWERY

Established in 1876 by Mrs Margaret Wills of Dudhope Brewery (to its rear, in the line of the ring road), it was designed to form part of an Improvement

Act Street. Brewing ceased before 1914 and the 5-storey tower brewery became a tenement.

The wort coppers were on the second and third floors; the cooler was above two arched windows to their left, what is now the Ladywell Tavern.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions