Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkliston, Stirling Road, Drambuie Production And Bottling Plant

Bottling Plant (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kirkliston, Stirling Road, Drambuie Production And Bottling Plant

Classification Bottling Plant (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 183830

Site Number NT17SW 183

NGR NT 1190 7452

NGR Description centred on main production block

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/183830

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Kirkliston (City Of Edinburgh/w Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

Architecture Notes

Said by the Mackinnon clan to have its origins in Skye at the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie's escape after Culloden, Drambuie was first produced on a commercial scale in Union Street, Edinburgh in 1909 by Malcolm Mackinnon. The business experienced rapid expansion after World War Two, necessitating a move to new premises at the bottom of Easter Road. The company then moved to a brand new purpose-built complex on the western edge of Kirkliston in 1959.

At the time of visit in 2001, the plant consisted of a complex of mostly brick-built buildings, the bricks being pale yellow ('rustic oatmeal'). The west end was dominated by a warehouse and dispatch area, and the heart of the block by a multi-storeyed bottling and production block. To the north side is an office complex, and to the east a control room resembling an airport control tower, and the boilerhouse and chimney. The site was notable for beautifully tended lawns and flower beds surrounding the buildings.

The complex was due to close some time in 2001, the plan being for production blending and bottling to be transferred to the Broxburn Bottling Plant nearby (formerly Bells, latterly Glenmorangie). The move was planned to retain only 15 of the 80 personnel on site, and the buildings were due to be demolished to make way for a residential development.

Information provided by the company, April 2001

Information from RCAHMS

(MKO) 2001

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions