Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pittodrie House, Hotel

Country House (17th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Site Name Pittodrie House, Hotel

Classification Country House (17th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Canmore ID 18174

Site Number NJ62SE 12

NGR NJ 69757 23976

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18174

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Chapel Of Garioch
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Pittodrie, 1490, early/mid-17th century. On the north-eastern slopes of Bennachie, almost hard by the craggy Mither Tap itself, a wonderfully matured house, grown from the stepped rubble L-plan block to the west. This is most likely of the early 17th century, although a date as early as 1490 has been suggested for the wheel stair in the south-east re-entrant angle. The north-west re-entrant angle was infilled in 1675, when a north-east wing was also added.

In 1841, to the east of this conglomeration, and to some extent wrapped round it, Archibald Simpson built a comfortable neo-Jacobean mansion complete with three-storey balustraded entrance tower to east and an ogee-capped (very like Newe, qv) tower on the south. (The 1605 armorial panel came from Balhalgardy, just west of Inverurie.)

A billiard room was added 1900-3 and a canted bay window to Simpson's drawing room in 1926. Now run as a hotel, it was greatly extended in 1990 by the addition, on the south, of a magnificent pastiche of the 17th-century part of Drum Castle by Mike Rasmussen: interiors, Amanda Rose & Sylvia Lawson Johnstone.

Some early interior details survive (eg water chute and shot hole), while the grounds contain surprises, most notably the detached gunroom - 18th century in present form but the two transverse vaults in the lower part may indicate 16th-century work. Also plain, 17th century sundial with cube dial and ball finial.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ62SE 12.00 69757 23976

NJ62SE 12.01 NJ 6977 2412 Home Farm

NJ62SE 12.02 NJ 6986 2416 Dower House

NJ62SE 12.03 NJ 6945 2408 Kennels

NJ62SE 12.04 NJ 6967 2411 Sawmill

NJ62SE 12.05 NJ 6966 2406 Dam

NJ62SE 12.06 NJ 6934 2410 iIe house and Sand pits

NJ62SE 12.07 NJ 69744 23993 Gunroom

NJ62SE 12.08 NJ 69812 23916 Sundial

NJ72SW 206 NJ 70048 23767 Walled Garden

For rig centred around NJ 6991 2418 and NJ 6997 2324, see NJ62SE 78 and NJ62SE 79 respectively. For rig centred around NJ 7045 2342, see NJ72SW 202.

For stone axes found nearby, see NJ62SE 109.

For quarry at NJ 6938 2403, see NJ62SE 134.

(NJ 6976 2396) Pittodrie (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Pittodrie House, a 16th-17th century structure, over the doorway of whose modern porch is the date 1605, which might well be the date of the L-plan central mass, but a detached wing to the north contains vaulted cellars with two gun-loops and appears to belong to an earlier house, while, elsewhere, the date 1675 may refer to the earliest extensions.

It belonged to the Erskine family.

N Tranter 1962-70.

Pittodrie House (confirmation from Mrs G R T Smith, Pittodrie House), generally as described by Tranter (1962-70). The original tall house is surrounded and almost hidden by later extensions. Insufficient can be seen to say if it has any defensive features. According to the present owner the stone dated 1605 came from elsewhere. There is nothing to indicate that the detached wing to the NW is of an earlier period.

Visited by OS (ISS) 16 August 1973.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (JM) 18 August 1977.

Pittodrie, 1490, early/mid 17th century. On the N slopes of Bennachie, a wonderfully mature house, grown from the stepped rubble L-plan block to the W. This is most likely of the 17th century, although a date as early as 1490 has been suggested for the wheel stair in the SE re-entrant angle. The NW re-entrant angle was infilled in 1675, when a NE wing was also added.

In 1841, to the E of this conglomeration and to some extent wrapped around it, Archibald Simpson built a comfortable neo-Jacobean mansion complete with three-storey balustraded entrance tower to E and an ogee-capped tower (similar to Newe, NJ31SE 42.00) on the S. The 1605 armorial panel came from Balhalgardy (NJ c. 76 23), just W of Inverurie.

A billiard room was added in 1900-3 and a canted bay window to Simpson's drawing room in 1926. Now run as a hotel, it was greatly extended in 1990 by the addition, on the S, of a magnificent pastiche of the 17th-century part of Drum Castle (NJ70SE 4.00) by Mike Rasmussen, with interiors by Amanda Rose and Sylvia Lawson.

Some early interior details survive, eg. water chute and shot hole, while the grounds contain surprises, most notably the detached gunroom which is, 18th century in present form but the two transverse vaults may indicate 16th-century work. Also plain 17th-century sundial with cube dial and ball finial.

I Shepherd 1994.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Built: 1775, with wing dated 1675

Architect: Archibald Simpson additions 1840

Owner: R. Laidlaw Smith.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (9 December 2010)

A standing building survey was carried out on 9 December 2010 of steadings associated with Pittodrie House Hotel prior to redevelopment. Four phases of development were recorded, the earliest being an 18th-century farm complex, which was developed throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Monument Leisure

Cameron Archaeology 2010

Information also reported in OASIS (camerona1-90156) 14 September 2011

Photographic Survey (27 March 2015)

NJ 69757 23976 A photographic survey was carried out, on 27 March 2015, prior to extensions and alterations to this hotel.

Archive: National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE)

Funder: Monument Leisure (Pittodrie) Ltd

Alison Cameron - Cameron Archaeology

(Source: DES, Volume 16)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions