Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newton House

Country House (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Newton House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Culsalmond Castle; Newton House Estate; Newton House Policies

Canmore ID 18104

Site Number NJ62NE 29

NGR NJ 66148 29723

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18104

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Culsalmond
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Newton House, (?)1692. A Gordon house of immense serenity and dignity, on site of earlier castle. Exceptionally tall and narrow, harled, three storeys, attic and full basement, with four widely set windows and a pedimented doorpiece reached up railed steps. The curved bays on the gables are 19th century. Kitchen court at rear. Very spare, like the

original Esslemont and Ardmeallie.

Important garden divided into four (now three) by stone-coped brick walls, designed by the late Theodore Haughton of Williamston, and executed by the late owner, A Parkin-Moore.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ62NE 29.00 66148 29723

NJ62NE 29.01 69231 29863 Home Farm

NJ62NE 29.02 66765 28831 South Lodge

NJ62NE 29.03 65544 29769 West Lodge

NJ62NE 29.04 66519 29134 Mausoleum

NJ62NE 29.05 centred 66452 29700 Garden Walls

NJ62NE 29.06 66458 29726 Walled Garden

NJ63SE 32 c. 6647 3018 North Lodge (Glenniston)

(NJ 6614 2973) Newton House (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Extant in 1591 (Bulloch 1907), Newton, formerly Culsalmond Castle, was unroofed in 1594 and is now 'raised' (Laing 1828), but Gordon (ONB 1867) asserts that no castle existed on the present site of Newton House erected in the late 17th century (SDD 1960-), or in its proximity, although Newton was anciently a seat of the Leslies.

A Laing 1828; Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB) 1867; C O Skelton and J M Bulloch 1907; SDD 1960-; Information from A M Gordon (owner), Newton House to OS.

There is no trace of any predecessor to the present Newton House, a late 17th century laird's house, occupied and in good condition.

Visited by OS (NKB) 27 March 1969.

House and ?site of Culsalmond Castle. Main house late 17th century, thrree-storey and basement, harled; doorway inscribed AD/JD 1778. Front doorway, two wings to rear and internal woodwork of later date.

NMRS, MS/712/59.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

18c mansion on earlier foundations (?) with 19c extensions and interiors

Owner: A.W. Parkin-Moore, Esq.

PLANS: Dick Peddie & Mackay, Edinburgh

Attic 2, Bin 35, Bag 1 1885

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions