Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Westhall

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Westhall

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Westhall House; Westhall Tower

Canmore ID 18082

Site Number NJ62NE 10

NGR NJ 67343 26652

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18082

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Oyne
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Westhall, 16th century with 17th- and 19th-century additions. Estate the property of Bishops of Aberdeen; at Reformation to branch of the Gordons, then purchased by Revd James Horne, vicar of Elgin in 1681. Complex house, Z-plan with 17th-century round tower with conical roof at south-east angle. Tall crenellated parapet to the original, strong, south-west tower, is carried on chunky corbels. Squinch arch in re-entrant for stair-tower. A large, sprawling three-bay house was added at the east and rear in the 19th century.

Westhall has a small place in railway history, being the point where work began on the Great North of Scotland Railway in 1852. The estate owner, Sir James Elphinstone, had formerly been active in the Aberdeen Canal Company.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ62NE 10.00 67343 26652

NJ62NE 10.01 6730 2673 Home Farm

NJ62NE 10.02 6715 2633 West Lodge

NJ62NE 10.03 68811 26525 East Lodge, boundary walls and gatepiers

NJ62NE 10.04 c. 673 266 stone vase

(NJ 6733 2665) Westhall (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Westhall, originally a double square L-shaped tower-house with a rounded projection containing a newel stair in the re-entrant angle. A round tower containing the principal stair was added, probably in the 17th century, and the castle was again altered and repaired in 1838 (Hay 1887). It was still occupied in 1889 (MacGibbon and Ross 1887-92). There is no historic evidence of its precise date of construction. Hay believed it to be late 15th-early 16th century date, but the SDD (1960-) lists it as 17th century. Westhall belonged to the Diocese of Aberdeen from the 13th century to the Reformation, at which time it passed to the family of Horn (MacGibbon and Ross 1887-92).

A L Hay 1887; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; SDD 1960-.

The 16th-17th century tower-house forms the SW angle of the modern mansion, and is still occupied.

Visited by OS (NKB) 13 March 1969.

Tower [NR]

Westhall [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Old plans in possession of A.G.R. MacKenzie in 1941

Site Management (25 June 2002)

16th cent. L plan. Extended at E. End in 17th cent with round tower at SE angle. Mostly 3-storeyed. Harled. Corbelled parapet. Slated roof. With 19th cent additions at E end and rear. Cheese-press at rear.

Purchased by Rev James Horne from Gordons 1681. Passed to Dalrymple-Home Elphinstones and later to Leiths. Became a school for students of farming. (Historic Scotland)

The estate was originally the property of Bishops of Aberdeen; at Reformation changed to a branch of the Gordons, then purchased by Revd James Horne, vicar of Elgin in 1681.

Westhall has a small place in railway history, being the point where work began on the Great North of Scotland Railway in 1852. The estate owner, Sir James Elphinstone, had formerly been active in the Aberdeen Canal Company. (Ian Shepherd)

Activities

Photographic Survey (11 April 1957)

Photographic survey of the exterior of Westhall House, Aberdeenshire, and a few rooms in 1957.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions