Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Glasgow, Bellahouston Park, 1938 Empire Exhibition, The Palace Of Engineering

Exhibition Pavilion (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Bellahouston Park, 1938 Empire Exhibition, The Palace Of Engineering

Classification Exhibition Pavilion (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 180718

Site Number NS56SW 39.03

NGR NS 5490 6350

NGR Description Removed to NS 35994 27578

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/180718

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SW 39.03 5490 6350

For subsequent and present location (NS 35994 27578), see NS32NE 114.

Architecture Notes

1938 Architect T S Tait.

Largest building in the Empire Exhibition (covering five acres), built in three months. Re-erected at Prestwick Airport for use by Scottish Aviation. Now a hangar.

Kinchin & Kinchin 1988

One of the largest temporary buildings in the exhibition, almost double the size of Glasgow's George Square.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions