Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arbroath, Hill Place, Arbroath Academy And Public Library

Library (Period Unassigned), School (19th Century)

Site Name Arbroath, Hill Place, Arbroath Academy And Public Library

Classification Library (Period Unassigned), School (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Academy Street; Art Gallery

Canmore ID 178649

Site Number NO64SW 152

NGR NO 64478 41040

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/178649

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Arbroath And St Vigeans
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NO64SW 152.00 64478 41040

NO64SW 152.01 NO 64454 41022 Statue

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: James Black 1821

Activities

Photographic Survey (November 1962)

Photographs of buildings in Arbroath by the Scottish National Buildings Record in November 1962. Some of the buildings have since been demolished.

Publication Account (1982)

The first mention of a school in Arbroath occurs in 1562 (Hay, 1876, 259). The burgh grammar school was originally located in the now-defunct School Wynd near the post-Reformation parish church. The school was rebuilt in School Wynd in 1702 at a cost of £391 9s 2d, with materials which reputedly came from the Abbey (Finlayson, 1923, 18). In 1769, a new school was built in the neighbouring hill and was simply known as Hill School (Hay, 1886, 8). The reporter in the Statistical Account described it as 'spacious in every respect, well situated, fit to accommodate with ease 120 scholars' (Withrington, 1976, 32). The site is now occupied by the public library.

Information from ‘Historic Arbroath: The Archaeological Implications of Development’, (1982).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions