Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Avochie Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Avochie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 17846

Site Number NJ54NW 3

NGR NJ 53600 46609

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17846

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Huntly
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Avochie, 16th/early 17th century. Small rectangular mansion, now much depleted, with only east and west gables

surviving. Had corbelled angle turret at southeast. Adjacent is Avochie House, pleasingly baronial, close by the river.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ54NW 3 53600 46609

(NJ 5360 4661) Avochie Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 2nd ed., (1902)

(NJ 5360 4660) Avochie Castle (NR) (Remains of).

The name is printed to a building approximately 11.0m by 6.0m which was no longer in existence during revision of second edition above.

OS 25" map, Aberdeenshire, (1871)

'All that remains of this very old structure is two gables of no great height and from their appearance the building seems to have possessed no architectural beauty.

It has scarcely a claim to be the title of "Castle" as it was only a small quadrangular building of scarcely two stories. The masonary that remains though rough, is very strong. The wall an ordinary thickness.

It is supposed to have been built early in the 16th century, and was inhabited as late as 1745 being then in ruins.

The two gables serve for walls to an outhouse which is built between them. It is on the estate of Avochie and was at one time used as the residence of the proprietor. It is now the property of Adam Hay Gordon, Esq Avochie.'

Name Book 1871.

There is no evidence of a 'castle' here, except for the ruins of a very old house of uncertain period.

Visited by OS (EGC) 7 February 1964.

Activities

Field Visit (July 2008 - July 2008)

Measured and photographic survey.

Srp Note (10 May 2011)

The E gable wall of the building still stands to full height and the W gable, which is more ruinous, stands to just below chimney height. The window openings in both gables suggest that it was two storeys high with a loft, with first floor dormers on the S face. The N wall stands up to 1.7m high, but the S wall is reduced to low stone footings. Some of the fallen stone has been retained around the building.

There are the remains of bartizans (overhanging, wall-mounted turrets) on the NW and SE corners of the building. The SE corner may have had a wheel stair. The stone on the left of the fireplace (W wall) is incised with an inscription similar to that at the other Gordon of Avochie castle, Auchanachie, which lies two miles to the W (NJ44NE 1.00).

John Gordon of Avochie was a notable Jacobite and hid for a time in the castle after Culloden - he escaped capture at one stage by jumping out of a window. The house was apparently blown up by government troops.

Historical source: Memoirs of the Rebellion 1745–1746 by The Chevalier de Johnstone [aide de camps to Lord George Murray] (London: 1820) Translated from a French manuscript.

Information from SRP Rothiemay, May 2011.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions