Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cushnie Lodge

Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cushnie Lodge

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cushnie House; Old House Of Cushnie; Place Of Cushnie

Canmore ID 17611

Site Number NJ51SW 7

NGR NJ 52430 11296

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17611

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Leochel-cushnie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Cushnie Lodge (old Place of Cushnie), 1707. In the wooded narrows of the Howe, a fine two-storey, L-plan, harl-pointed and corbie-stepped laird's house with centre wallhead gable to five bay south front and (earlier) roll-moulded doorway in re-entrant. Altered, 19th century; garage/doocot added deftly, 1990.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ51SW 7 52430 11296

For Cushnie (New) House see NJ51SW 84.

The old decaying mansion house of the Lumsdens of Cuchnie, dated 1707.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

At NJ 5242 1129, Cushnie Lodge, built by Alexander Lumsden, laird of Cushnie till 1714 (information from manuscript, 'Lumsdens of Cushnie', held at Leochel-Cushnie Manse). It is an L-shaped mansion house with crow-stepped gables, still roofed but unoccupied and used as a farm outbuilding. The building is generally of little architectural merit.

Visited by OS (RL) 11 September 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions