Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Old Washer Plant

Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Site Name Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Old Washer Plant

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pithead Processing Area; Felspar Washer; Re-washer

Canmore ID 174637

Site Number NT36SW 22.17

NGR NT 3330 6369

NGR Description Centred NT3330 6369

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/174637

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Cockpen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SW 22.17 centred 3330 6369

The purpose of this RCAHMS photographic survey was to record images of the brick-built hopper and Old Washer prior to restoration.

Visited by RCAHMS(MKO), September 1989.

The Washer was built in the early 1900's, shortly after the colliery started production. It retains the jiggers for sorting the coal, and bash washers complete with felspar. The Washer was abandoned in 1968. The lower extension to the south was the Re-washer which treated the dross from the Washer. The Re-washer has been stripped of all its equipment.

Information taken from Lady Victoria Scottish Mining Museum pamphlet dated 1991

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions