Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Polnish, Our Lady Of The Braes Roman Catholic Church

Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Polnish, Our Lady Of The Braes Roman Catholic Church

Classification Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Polnish Chapel; Loch Ailort Chapel; Lochailort Chapel; War Memorial Window

Canmore ID 174537

Site Number NM78SE 8

NGR NM 75119 82790

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/174537

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Arisaig And Moidart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Our Lady of the Braes (RC), Polnish, 1872 A simple white buttressed box with gothic glazing, but a stirring landmark viewed from the old road amidst the barren grandeur of the Sound of Arisaig, with Roshven as its backdrop. Built to serve the now deserted townships of Ardnish and Polnish, this lone monument to the former inhabitants of the empty landscape has a poignant significance.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM78SE 8 75119 82790

Chapel [NR]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1978.

Site Management (27 May 1993)

Plain, lancet-Gothic whitewashed church, spectacularly-sited on hill-top above Loch Ailort. Steep-gabled with cross finials, rectangular-plan, 3 buttressed bays, door in liturgical west (actually east) gable; lower chancel. Rubble; slate roofs. (Historic Scotland)

Built to serve the now deserted townships of Ardnish and Polnish, this lone monument to the former inhabitants of the empty landscape has a poignant significance. (M Miers) The church also featured in the film Local Hero starring Burt Lancaster.

Activities

Aerial Photography (3 May 2007)

Note (20 April 2015)

The old RC church at Polnish has dedications in all the windows. One window is dedicated to the dead men and women of Arisaig in both World Wars. The dedication reads 'To the memory of the men and women of the parish of Arisaig who gave their lives in two world wars 1914-18~1939-45'.

Information from J Briscoe to RCAHMS 20 April 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions