Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Findochty Castle

Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Findochty Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Of Findochty

Canmore ID 17394

Site Number NJ46NE 2

NGR NJ 45552 67375

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17394

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Rathven
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ46NE 2 45552 67375

(NJ 4555 6737) Castle of Findochty (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

16th century Findochty Castle has apparently consisted of an oblong main portion, 24ft 3ins in breadth and of unknown length, with a small oblong tower about 10ft 6ins by 16ft 6ins attached to its N front near the W end.

With the exception of part of the N wall and the W wing the main building has been destroyed, and a cottage, in its turn now roofless, is built within the area, an old window and door stones having been re-used. The ruined tower & W wing, formerly a kitchen, survive to a height of c.8.0m. These were repaired in the 1880's and are still in good condition (Simpson 1931).

Findochty or House of Findochty is an L-shaped building first mentioned in 1568. The Ordnance Survey is responsible for the name Findochty Castle (Cramond 1888).

W Cramond 1888; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; W D Simpson 1931.

Findochty Castle, as described and planned by Simpson.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RL) 19 July 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions