Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Keith, Station Road, Milton Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Keith, Station Road, Milton Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Oliphant

Canmore ID 17377

Site Number NJ45SW 4

NGR NJ 42864 51199

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17377

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Keith
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ45SW 4 42864 51199

(NJ 4286 5119) Castle (NR) (Ruin)

OS 6" map, (1938)

Milton Castle (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 25" map, Banffshire, (1869)

Milton Tower, part of Milton Keith Castle, was built in AD 1480 repaired in 1601 and destroyed in 1829.

Keith Official Guide 1960.

Milton Tower is a roofless building measuring 7.2 x 5.2m. with walls 0.9m thick. It is three storeys high with a vaulted ground floor, and is entered from the west side, where there is an iron gate.

A plaque on the west wall reads: "Milton Tower. Surviving portion of ancient castle of Miltoun, circa 1480. Fell into ruin after 1715".

Tusking in the south wall and a large fireplace exposed in this side, suggest that the castle was on the south side of the tower. No other evidence of the Castle is apparent. Projecting from the tower's north wall is a fragment of walling 0.9m thick in which there is a small slit window.

Visited by OS (EGC) 6 December 1962.

No change.

Visited by OS (RL) 4 July 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions