Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wartle Station And Station House

House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Wartle Station And Station House

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Fordmouth, Station House; Meikle Wartle, Station

Canmore ID 173650

Site Number NJ73SW 39

NGR NJ 7201 3013

NGR Description NJ 7201 3013 and NJ 7198 3013

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/173650

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Chapel Of Garioch
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ73SW 39 7201 3013 and 7198 3013

Station House [NAT] (at NJ 7198 3013)

OS 1:10,000 map, 1984.

(Cited as Wartle Station). This station is situated 0.7km S of the village of Meikle Wartle (NJ73SW 58), which it evidently served. An intermediate station on the Inveramsay - Macduff branch line of the former Great North of Scotland Rly, it was opened (by the Banff, Macduff and Turriff Junction Rly) on 5 August 1857. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 1 October 1951.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 November 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

The station buildings at Wartle have been removed and a modern bungalow now occupies the site.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 5 May 1999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions