Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Davoch Of Grange, Lady Hill, St Ninian's Church

Castle (Medieval), Church (Period Unassigned), Grange (Medieval), Motte (Medieval)(Possible), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Davoch Of Grange, Lady Hill, St Ninian's Church

Classification Castle (Medieval), Church (Period Unassigned), Grange (Medieval), Motte (Medieval)(Possible), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Castlehill; Grange Parish Church; Tower Of Strathisla; Castle Of Grange; Grange Castle; War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 17347

Site Number NJ45SE 3

NGR NJ 48052 51541

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17347

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Grange
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ45SE 3 48052 51541

(NJ 4803 5154) Church (NAT)

On site of (NAT) The Grange (NR).

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

NJ45SE 8 47917 51585 Burial Ground (Virgin Mary's Chapel)

The Abbots of Kinloss here had a castle in which they frequently resided, the castle being built upon the top of a small mount, partly natural, partly artificial, surrounded by a dry ditch.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1791-9.

The parish takes its name from the Grange of the Abbots of Kinloss, granted by King William (1165-1214). The monks had their residence on the site where the church now stands.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

The parish church of Grange is built on the site of the Monastery. The moat which surrounded the latter is still visible, and the foundations of it are also traceable in several parts.

J A Cameron 1849.

No trace of The Grange was found. The large mound on which the present church of Grange stands has been extensively altered, but traces of the moat which surrounded it can be seen only on the west and north of the mound.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 4 February 1964.

No change.

Visited by OS (RL) 4 July 1967.

(Identified as motte).

P A Yeoman 1988.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions