Loch Luichart Dam
Dam (20th Century)
Site Name Loch Luichart Dam
Classification Dam (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Conon Valley Hydroelectric Power Scheme
Canmore ID 173052
Site Number NH35NE 22
NGR NH 38764 57976
NGR Description Centred
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/173052
- Council Highland
- Parish Contin
- Former Region Highland
- Former District Ross And Cromarty
- Former County Ross And Cromarty
Field Visit (2010)
Luichart dam creates storage capacity and provides flow regulation for Luichart power station which is just downstream. The dam receives additional water from Meig dam via a tunnel. Water leaves the dam via a tunnel through to the power station. The tunnel intake is to the North West corner of the dam with fixed trash screen and later screen cleaner. The control gates on the dam are all housed in predominantly functional concrete towers characteristic of the design for this period. This dam represents a largely functional response to a relatively steep gorge like site and current knowledge does not suggest any significant degree of technical innovation. The buildings on the dam are predominantly functional in design and the limited architectural detailing is characteristic of buildings of this type on hydro schemes throughout the period of development. PL Payne,1988, 5; Emma Wood, 2002, 38; J Miller, 2002.
Note (25 October 2023)
The Conon scheme
This project involves three separate stages: the Fannich scheme, the Glascarnoch-Luichart-Torr Achilty scheme and the Orrin scheme. The first of these involved tunnels and aqueducts to increase the flow into Loch Fannich, and a tunnel from the bed of Loch Fannich to the Grudie Bridge power station at the west end of Loch Luichart. This involved a severe problem at the Loch Fannich end. Work began in 1946 and a dam was built later, completing the section in 1951.
Work began on the second stage in 1951., producing two artificial lochs Vaich and Glascarnoch by damming the respective rivers, using the earth and rockfill method. Tunnels were excavated between these lochs and from Loch Glascarnoch to Mossford power station on Loch Luichart. A dam at the east end of Loch Achanalt allows loch to supply the Achsanalt power station near Grudie Bridge. Two artificial lochs Meig and Achonachie were produced by dams on the rivers Meig and Conon to supply power stations at Luichart and Torr Achilty respectively. Work on this section was completed in 1957.
The Orrin scheme was started in 1955 and involved the building of a mass gravity dam 1000 feet long and an earth embankment also 1000 feet in length to seal off a branch valley, thus forming the Orrin Reservoir. The outflow is through a concrete -lined tunnel to a steel pipeline supplying the Orrin power station at Loch Achonachie. Four Borland fish lifts had been installed at Luichart, Meig, Achanalt and Torr Achilty. The scheme was completed in 1961, the six power stations producing an output well over 100,000 kW.
Information from NRHE catalogue record WP007424, compiled by George Walker, 2005.
