Forth And Clyde Canal, Dalderse Swing Bridge
- Council Falkirk
- Parish Grangemouth
- Former Region Central
- Former District Falkirk
- Former County Stirlingshire
NS98SW 38 NS 9029 8155.
This railway bridge over the canal is sufficiently elevated to allow towpath access below.
The Forth and Clyde Canal Guidebook 1991.
This old railway bridge is now covered in graffiti, and is located only a short distance to the W of the current termination of the canal.
H Brown 1997.
This bridge is clearly visible on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1993) and on the OS Basic Scale digital map (2000), but, like the railway, does not appear on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1865, sheet xxiv).
Information from RCAHMS (MD) 14 November 2000.
Watching Brief (29 January 2013 - 22 February 2013)
GUARD Archaeology Ltd were commissioned to undertake an archaeological watching brief during the construction works for the Helix Canal Connection to the Forth and Clyde Canal Scheduled Ancient Monument Area between Falkirk and Grangemouth. The canal wall of the Forth and Clyde Canal at this juncture was clearly identifiable during this watching brief and was found to consist of timber pilings and heavily compacted grey clay, capped by large cap stones. The foundation trench was infilled with natural boulder clay. Subsurface deposits on the south bank of the canal have also evidently been disturbed previously by service trenches.
The canal connection area lies within the eastern part of the Castlecary-M9 Motorway section of the Forth and Clyde Canal, located to the north of Falkirk and centered on NGR NS 9053 8162. The precise area of groundworks subject to the archaeological watching brief is bounded to the north by the Forth and Clyde Canal, to the south and east by the Helix Canal access road and to the west by the A9. Six sites of archaeological interest aresituated within the immediate environs of the development area.
Information from Oasis (guardarc1-144574) 8 July 2013