Clova, St Luke's Chapel And Well
Chapel, Holy Well
Site Name Clova, St Luke's Chapel And Well
Alternative Name(s) Sammiluak's Chapel; Monastery Of Clovett
Canmore ID 17232
Site Number NJ42SE 11
NGR NJ 4557 2124
NGR Description NJ 4557 2124 and NJ 4571 2124
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Aberdeenshire
- Parish Kildrummy
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District Gordon
- Former County Aberdeenshire
NJ42SE 11 4557 2124 and 4571 2124
(NJ 4557 2124) St Luke's Chapel, Supposed Site of Monastery (NR)
(NJ 4571 2124) St Luke's Well (NR)
OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 2nd ed., (1902).
The distinct remains of the foundations of an early church can be seen inside a small plantation near Littlemill. The local people call it Sammiluak's or St Luke's chapel. The site was a monastic foundation of the Celtic St Moluag, dependent on Mortlach according to older authorities, but Easson (1957) lists it as a 'doubtful or rejected' foundation. The 'Monastery of Clovett' is mentioned in 1157 but there is no other evidence of its existence. The ruins contain 13th century architectural detail and remains of four possibly later plain crosses.
A well nearby has the same dedication to St Luke, derived from the English similarity to the Gaelic - St Moluag.
OS Name Book 1867; A Jervise 1875-9; W D Simpson 1943; D E Easson 1957.
All that remains of this chapel are the footings, measuring c. 10.0 metres by c. 5.5 metres and c. 0.3 metres high, situated within a rectangular enclosure probably the graveyard.
The four crosses could not be found and no architectural features are now discernible. Of St Luke's Well there is no trace.
Visited by OS (RL), 26 September 1967.
The four cruciform stones are located in the basement of Clova House
Information from John Borland (RCAHMS), October 1999.
Field Visit (28 July 1943)
This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.
Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 4 December 2014.