Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

South Uist, Garrynamonie, R.c. Church Of Our Lady Of Sorrows

Church (20th Century)

Site Name South Uist, Garrynamonie, R.c. Church Of Our Lady Of Sorrows

Classification Church (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Garrynamonie Roman Catholic Church; Eaglais Nan Dorainn

Canmore ID 172021

Site Number NF71NE 11

NGR NF 7581 1648

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172021

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish South Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Garrynamonie (Geàrraidh na Mònadh)

Our Lady of Sorrows (Eaglais Màthair nan Dòrainn) (RC), Richard McCarron, 1964-5 Modernist Catholic church reflecting the 1960s liturgical revival, an economic version in rendered brick of works by Gillespie Kidd & Coia. Topped by a neon cross, it rises incongruously from the treeless landscape, a wedge-shaped bookend spectacularly discordant in its setting. Sacred Heart mosaic by David Harding.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

Roman catholic chapel-of-ease for a congregation of 300, designed by a newly-graduated architect (working with RMJM at the time). Built in fifteen monhs, in rendered brick, with prefabricate roof beams and RC columns. The building's compact, highly geometrical 'broad front' form, with small, deeply recessed windows and wide, square plan, reflected both litugical requirements (for intimae contact between celebrant and worshippers) and the extreme maritime climate of the island; the design was influenced by the work of Coia, who was consulted by McCarron at the initial proposal stage. The building programme was organised innovatively, with the parish priest, Mgr McKellaig, acting as contractor. The mosaic over the front entrance was the work of David Harding, later celebrated as Glenrothes Development Corporation's artist-in-residence during the late 1960s and '70s, and (more recently still) an influential teacher at Glasgow School of Art. (Fig. 4.70).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75', (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions