Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Buchanstone Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Buchanstone Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Rettie Cottages

Canmore ID 171916

Site Number NJ62NE 138

NGR NJ 6590 2613

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171916

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Oyne
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ62NE 138 6590 2613

This intermediate station on the (Aberdeen-Inverness) main line of the former Highland and Great North of Scotland Rlys (subsequently grouped into the London and North-Eastern Rly) was opened by the latter company in November 1854. It closed to regular passenger traffic in September 1866; the line itself remains in use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 3 November 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Nothing is now visible of Buchanstone Station, which lay at the edge of an improved field about 70m NW of Rettie Cottages. It is depicted as a small roofed building standing on the N side of the Aberdeen to Inverness main line of the former Great North of Scotland Railway on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, 1870, sheet xliv). The building appears to have been removed before the end of the 19th century and it is not shown on the 2nd edition of the map (1901, sheet xliv.SE).

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 24 May 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions