Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bookan

Cairn(S) (Bronze Age)

Site Name Bookan

Classification Cairn(S) (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Buckan; Wasbister; The Brecks

Canmore ID 1705

Site Number HY21SE 18

NGR HY 2887 1385

NGR Description HY 2887 1385 and HY 2888 1384

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1705

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Sandwick
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY21SE 18 2887 1385 and 2888 1384

See also HY21SE 3.

(HY 288 139) The outlines of two cairns, lying contiguous to one another in a line almost due east - west and with diameters of 43 ft and 58 ft, can be seen 100 yds north of the disc barrow (HY21SE 3) and close to the side of the hill-road to the crofter's house.

But for their size they resemble hut circles, due to the thorough robbing which has left a ridge about 3 ft high around their outer margins. Within, a number of stones, on edge and in no regular order, project above the turf to a height of about 1 ft.

F W L Thomas 1852; RCAHMS 1946, visited August 1928.

Two cairns as described by the Commission.

A - HY 2887 1385 - measures 19.0m. in diameter and 0.7m. high. Several earthfast stones set on edge appear around its south arc, and are probably the remains of a peristalith. Although there are a few stones visible in the centre of this denuded cairn, no definite pattern could be evolved from them.

B - HY 2888 1384 - measures c.11.5m. in diameter and 0.5m. high, and is joined to A along its NW side. No peristalith could be seen at this cairn, and again no set pattern could be evolved from the few remaining small earthfast stones protruding from the turf.

The cairns lie in a line NW to SE.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RB) 25 April 1966.

World Heritage Area; Geophysical survey

N Card (OAT)

A second season of magnetometry survey was undertaken in and around the Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage SIte. Over 30ha was surveyed, further clarifying the extent of known sites and locating many new ones. Magnetometry revealed a large complex of enclosures, field systems and structures covering several hectares around this site.

Report to be lodged with Orkney SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsors: HS, Orkney Islands Council, GSB (Bradford), Orkney Archaeology Trust.

Activities

Orkney Smr Note

the remains of two obscure contiguous circles which appear

to be of the nature of cromlechs: they are formed by a ring

embankment of earth or stones, the interiors of both,

corresponding with the natural level, have indications of flag-

stones arranged in two parallel lines between 2 and 3ft apart. It

is very probable that these were graves from which the covering

and other stones have been carried away. [R1]

But for the size (58ft and 43ft) they could resemble hut

circles, due to the thorough robbing which has left a ridge about

3ft high around their outer margins. Within, a number of stones,

on edge and in no regular order, project above the turf to a

height of about 1ft. [R2]

The mound at HY 2887 1385 measures 19.0m in diameter and 0.7m

high. Several earthfast stones set on edge appear around it's

south arc, and are probably the remains of a peristalith. No

definite pattern could be evolved from the stones in the centre.

The mound at HY 2888 1384 measures 11.5m in diameter by 0.5m

high joins A along NW side.

No peristalith visible and no set pattern in the few

remaining earthfast stones. HY 2887 1385 and HY 2888 1384 lie NW-

SE.

OS visit April 1966.

Reinterpreted as a pair of conjoining Bronze Age houses.

Information from Orkney SMR [n.d]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions