Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Forfar Road, Morgan Academy

School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, Forfar Road, Morgan Academy

Classification School (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Morgan Hospital

Canmore ID 169651

Site Number NO43SW 186

NGR NO 41325 31790

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/169651

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 186.00 41325 31790

Morgan Academy [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, June 2010.

NO43SW 186.01 NO 41303 31872 Janitor's House

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Peddie and Kinnear 1863-66.

Scottish Baronial

James H Langlands - altered & enlarged 1889, 1913-15

Originally conceived as Morgan Hospital.

NMRS PLANS:

Dick Peddie and MacKay, Edinburgh designs

Bin 6, Bag 2 Peddie and Kinnear 1860, 62-3

1865

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Architecture Notes

Activities

Construction (1863 - 1868)

Change Of Name (1889)

Opened as Morgan Hospital in February 1868, reopened as Morgan Academy in 1889 under the Dundee School Board.

Modification (1889)

Alteration. Courtyard roofed to form hall in 1889 with graceful arched steel lattice roof.

Change Of Use (1889)

Originally the Morgan Hospital, founded by John Morgan of Balgay House, 1760-1850. Money made in India was to go towards the foundation of an institution modelled on Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh. Reopened in1889 under the Dundee School Board as the Morgan Academy.

Modification (1913 - 1915)

Enlargement, including 3-storey rear and stair blocks with very tall windows and swept pavilion roofs added no N of each elevation, 1913-15 by James H Langland.

Modification (1991 - 1992)

Large N extension 1991-92 by Tayside Regional Council Architects Department.

Incident (21 March 2001)

Fire

Standing Building Recording (22 March 2001)

A major recording programme was carried out following destruction of the Grade A listed school (NMRS NO 43 SW 186), by Peddie & Kinnear (1863), by fire on 23 March 2001. A comprehensive photographic record was made immediately after the fire; clearance and down-takings were monitored and architectural elements salvaged, sorted and data-based. The resulting record will be used to guide the reconstruction programme.

Sponsor: Dundee City Council

D Hind and T Addyman 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions