Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 160 Observatory Road, Notre Dame School

School (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 160 Observatory Road, Notre Dame School

Classification School (20th Century)

Canmore ID 168948

Site Number NS56NE 2014

NGR NS 56266 67408

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/168948

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Notre Dame High School, 160 Observatory Road, 1939, designed Thomas Smith (T S) Cordiner

Scandinavian influenced, built 1949-53 on the site of the former Observatory. A long block in yellow brick, concrete and ashlar, with projecting wings, incorporating bas-relief stone panels. Mackintosh-style baluster screens on stairs. Metal sculpture on modernist flèche with cross above main entrance pavilion. Brick shrine with statue of Virgin and Child to north.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 2014 56266 67408

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

Cordiner's prewar work closely paralleled the contemporary architectural tendency of Modernity tempered by Traditionalist classicism, that became widespread in public builings of the Netherlands during the late 1930s and '40s. Here - as the postwar Linn Crematorium - the basic grouping is symmetrical, its brick and concrete simplicity offset by geometrical flourishes. (Fig. 4.57).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75', (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions