Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kininvie House

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Kininvie House

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Kininvie Castle

Canmore ID 16866

Site Number NJ34SW 4

NGR NJ 31882 44048

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16866

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Mortlach
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ34SW 4 31882 44048 - House; NJ 31971 44042 - Dovecot.

(NJ 3188 4405) Kininvie House (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959.)

Kininvie appears to have been reconstructed at the end of the 16th century, but the walls are probably of older date. The original structure is said to have been erected in 1480.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

The oldest part of Kininvie House, probably the 16th century reconstruction mentioned by MacGibbon and Ross, is the W wing containing a square tower containing a staircase (see photo on illustration card). This wing has been modernised and harled to conform with the remainder of the house, which, according to Shaw (L Shaw 1882) was added by Archibald Young Leslie in 1840.

No trace, and no local knowledge of the original structure allegedly built in 1480.

Visited by OS (RL) 30 January 1967; L Shaw 1882.

(NJ 3197 4404) Dovecot (NAT)

OS 25" map, (1905).

The dovecot is circular, with two string courses, and has been harled. It has possibly been reroofed, and is late 16th or early 17th century. SDD building list (SDD 1960-)

Information from G Stell (RCAHMS) 27 April 1970.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions