Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 1 Langside Avenue, Langside Hall

Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 1 Langside Avenue, Langside Hall

Classification Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Hall (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pollockshaws Road

Canmore ID 167447

Site Number NS56SE 823

NGR NS 57445 62151

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/167447

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Langside Public Hall, 1 Langside Avenue, 1847, John Gibson

Rich Italian Renaissance palazzo, with swags, keystone faces, Royal Arms and allegorical figures sculpted by John Thomas of London, who had worked on the Houses of Parliament. Originally the National Bank of Scotland at 57 Queen Street, where the Banking Hall was remodelled, 1856, James Salmon. Rebuilt in Langside Avenue, 1901, A B McDonald. Symmetrical two-storey over basement, rusticated front with Ionic pilasters at ground and Corinthian above. Balustrade protects basement area. 1901 interiors also by McDonald, who retained Salmon's banking hall.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 823 57445 62151

NMRS REFERENCE:

Glasgow, 1 Langside Avenue, Langside Public Halls.

Originally the offices of the National Bank of Scotland at 57 Queen Street. Removed stone by stone and re-erected at 1 Langside Avenue, c. 1889.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions