Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lossiemouth Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Lossiemouth Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lossiemouth, Clifton Road, Station

Canmore ID 16733

Site Number NJ27SW 21

NGR NJ 2384 7082

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16733

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Drainie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ27SW 21 2384 7082

For adjoining hotel (NJ 2384 7099), see NJ27SW 15.

(Location cited as NJ 237 706). Lossiemouth Station, opened 1852 by the Morayshire Rly. A single-platform terminal station. The platform building, adjoins a large 2-storey and basement building, formerly the Steamboat and Railway Hotel.

J R Hume 1977.

The station and adjoining buildings were demolished c. 1988 and replaced with a bandstand, playground and putting course at track level. The old platform remains and is at the edge of a car park opening onto Clifton Road.

Information from RCAHMS (FO), 21 March 1996.

Lossiemouth station was the terminus of the Great North of Scotland Rly branch line from Elgin. It was opened (by the Morayshire Rly) on 10 August 1852 and closed to regular passenger traffic (with the branch line as a whole) on 6th April 1964.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 October 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions